- Detailed descriptions of early deeds and deed book indexes can be found on the Recorder’s Office website Historic Records page.
- Surname indexes for Deed Books A through W2 can be seen at the Hamilton County Genealogical Society’s website Hamilton County Deed Index page.
- Additional information on Hamilton County property records can be found at the Hamilton County Genealogical Society’s website Land Records page.
- Starting in 1788, deeds books not only contained deeds but also mortgages, releases, mechanic liens, leases, power of attorney, partnerships, veteran discharges and other miscellaneous records until they were written in separate unique books. Indexes have been created for non-deed records in Deed Books A through W2, called Sundries Index# 1. It is available online at the Hamilton County Genealogical Society’s website Land Records page.
- The following Deed books are indexed in Deed Indexes #1: B1, C, D1, D2, E1, E2, G, H, I, J, K, L, N, Q, R1, T, U, V1, V2, W1, W2.
- These Deed books were indexed alone: M1, R2 and S.
- These Deed books are not indexed: A, F1, F2, O, P.
- Deed book Index # 1, M1, R2 and S are available online at the Hamilton County Genealogical Society’s Hamilton County Deed Index webpage.
- These books and indexes are also available on microfilm at the Recorder’s Office.
Quality of images
Over 16,000 pages are in the deed books A through W2. To make the books available as soon as possible, all pages in a given book were processed with the same photo enhancement settings. As time permits, all the pages will be reviewed. Those of poor quality will be individually enhanced to provide the best image possible.
A disastrous court house fire in March 1884 damaged many county books. Surviving information in the burnt books was painstakingly copied into new books in the same position as the original, almost as if a modern photocopy machine was used. Those pages totally destroyed are indicated in the table as missing due to the fire. Detailed information on deed books A through W2 is in this table: Click here to view the Deeds A-W2 Reference Table (PDF).