This screen allows you to search for registered land certificates by the name of an individual conveyor/grantor or conveyee/grantee.
- A Conveyor (Seller/Borrower) is the person from whom the title of the property was transferred-typically the seller of the property. Other terms for the conveyor include grantor, mortgagor, vendor, or lessor.
- A Conveyee (Buyer/Lender) is the person to whom the title of the property was transferred-typically the buyer of the property. Other terms for the conveyee include grantee, mortgagee, vendee, or lessee.
To search for documents, enter search criteria into the following fields:
- Search For (required): Select whether the person for whom you want to search is a conveyor or conveyee in the transaction by clicking on the appropriate option.
- Last Name (required): Enter one or more letters of the person's last name. The search will return all individuals whose last name begins with the letters you enter. For example, if you enter "Meyer", the search results will include individuals with the last name "Meyer" as well as "Meyers", "Meyerson", et cetera. Press the tab key to move to the next field.
- First Name: Enter one or more letters of the person's first name. The search will return all individuals whose first name begins with the letters you enter. For example, if you enter "Jo", the search results will include individuals with the first name "Joe", "John", "Jon", "Jonathan", "Joseph", et cetera. To search for multiple first names or versions type a comma after each name entered. A new text box will appear in which you can enter an additional name or first few letters of another name. Press the tab key to move to the next field.
- Document Type: Enter one or more document type codes for which to search. Document type indicates the nature of the document filed with the Recorder, such as a deed, mortgage, affidavit, et cetera, and each document type has an associated code of up to four letters. If you know the code(s) for the document type(s) you want to find, enter them directly. For example, if you do not know the code for Mortgage, type an "M". Any document type code which includes an "M" will appear in a dropdown list. You will be able to see Mortgage is on the list. Type the "MT" code or click MORTGAGE on the list. Type a comma to enter another document type code or press the tab key to move to the next field.
- Date Recorded: In the Start Date (left) box, enter the month, day, and year (in the format mm/dd/yyyy) of the earliest date for which you want to retrieve documents. Or click the calendar icon to select the date using the date picker. If you leave the End Date (right) box blank, the search will return all individuals associated with documents dated on or after the Start Date. Otherwise, enter an End Date the latest date for which you want to retrieve documents. The search will return all individuals associated with documents dated on or before this date.
Once you have entered your search criteria, click Search to find matching documents or Clear to clear all the fields so you can enter new search criteria.
If there are multiple individuals matching the name you entered, you will see the Select Certificate screen displaying a list of matching individuals and their corresponding certificate numbers. If a single individual is found matching the name you entered, and there is only one certificate recorded for that individual, you will go directly to the Certificate Detail.
NOTE: If you enter an individual for whom only documents have been recorded for land that is not registered under the Torrens Act, your search will not return any results. You must use one of the other document search options to find documents that do not involve registered land.